Zooland I Am
A new look at nature
At the time, the site of the Forest Reserve occupied an area of 240 hectares. Currently, the Brazzaville goose leg reserve covers an area of 94 to 55 to 07 hectares of natural forest and / or artificially planted. It is subdivided into five (5) zones (A, B, C, D, E) distributed as follows:
Zone A (Parliament Building) from 26 ha 08 to 73 ca;
Zone B (Ministry of Foreign Affairs). It covers an area of 12 to 82 to 51 ac and populated mainly with Eucalyptus and pines; it has been enriched with acacia slamea, acacia mangum and Delonis regio.
Zone C (Tennis Club): This is the forest of national unity. It covers an area of 24 ha 75 to 14 ca. It is populated with Eucalyptus, pine, Acacia, Cessia, Albizzia, Millettia, Mantalis. There are also local species such as Limba, Okoumé, Sapi, Sapelli, etc.
Zone D (Formerly named Zoological Park, and newly named Zoological and Botanical Park - Zoolandia): this is the natural forest with an area of about 25 ha 66 to 20 ca.
Zone E (Massamba-Debat Stadium): area 5 ha 22 to 48 ca.
The main conservation issues were identified in Zone D, which was home to a Zoological Park created in 1952 and abandoned since 1997 to 2017, ie 20 years. And which is being redeveloped since February 2018.
The entire reserve is under the supervision of the Ministry of the Forest Economy, which makes a priority for its security and conservation.
The mortality rate of the animals that populated the Park, was estimated at 95%.
Today some animals have survived in dilapidated infrastructures: 1 Nile Crocodile, 2 Dwarf Crocodiles, 1 piscivorous Crocodile, 1 Seba Python, 1 Mandrill, 1 Vervet, 3 Hocheurs, 1 Black Cercocèbe, 1 Agile Cercocèbe, 1 Civet. Also, the Park is home to small mammals (mice, rats, squirrels, etc.), invertebrates (insects, snails, spiders, etc.) and birds.
This Zoo has been abandoned for 20 years, with a few faunal specimens in distress (in dilapidated infrastructures dating from the 70s) and the forest threatened by cuts of anarchic trees and urban development projects. It is the last natural forest of downtown Brazzaville.
Nature in all its beauty
The story ¤
Located in the Patte d'Oie forest reserve, the Brazzaville zoo is a showcase for Congolese wildlife.
It is in 1952, under the impulse of the Veterinary Doctor R ROUSSELOT that was created the Zoo of Brazzaville.
In front of the strong and important catches organized by the French Government, directed in the Middle Congo by Mr. G. Roll ais helped by the Heads of districts and localities where the catches had to be made. Dr R. ROUSSELOT asked the Governor General of the former French Equatorial Africa (AEF) to create a small Zoo to entertain the important European colony including the military corps stationed in Brazzaville.
The construction of this Zoo started in 1951 and in 1952, the Zoo was opened.
But, the Zoo was still a simple transit park where the last selections and controls took place before thousands of animals collected inside the AEF were shipped to the metropolis to populate the menageries who were forming there.
The military presence of the camp, which became August 15, 1963, and the Clarion Camp was decisive in determining the location of the Zoo.
Among the first residents counted the famous Chimpanzee Gregory.
In 1960, in favor of independence, the transit site became a detention center and exhibition of animals to the public, with among other roles social, cultural, scientific, educational and protective.
Administratively, this center functioned as a service dependent either of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, or of the General Secretariat of the Presidency of the Republic, or the services of Water and Forests (1960-1984).
Since 1984, it functions as Central Management, attached to the Directorate General of Forest Economy at the Ministry of Water and Forests.
Originally the Zoo was animated by the Veterinary Doctor R. ROUSSELOT its initiator, until the years 1956, then from 1956 to 1966 by Mademoiselle MIHALLOFF, a Frenchwoman.
From 1966, the management of the Zoological Park was entrusted to Congolese who were either Zootechniciens, or engineers of Water and Forests, or Biologists.
The Zoological Park had climaxes until 1977. It experienced its greatest deterioration (destruction) with the events of the war of June 5, 1997.
The Zoological Park, which before the war had a large zoological collection spread over 4 hectares in open-air enclosures, cages, aviaries, ponds, and vivarium showed only one survivor a cercopithecus of Brazza at the end of the war in October 1997.
This Zoological collection included more than 14 mammal species with 70 primate-dominated specimens, 11 bird species with 40 specimens, 5 reptile species with 18 specimens, or a total of 30 species for 128 specimens or residents.